HVAC Troubleshooting Tips
If your system is not running or functioning properly, here are some simple steps you can take to help isolate the problem, prior to calling for service:
- Make sure the electrical disconnect switches are ON.
- Replace any blown fuses or reset any tripped circuit breakers.
- Make sure the thermostat temperature is set properly.
- Heating – make sure thermostat system is set to HEAT and temperature selector is set above room temperature. On gas furnaces equipped with electronic ignition, turn thermostat to OFF. Wait five minutes then set the thermostat back to HEAT to reset the ignition system.
- Cooling – make sure thermostat system is set to COOL and temperature selector is set below room temperature. To avoid short-circuiting the compressor, do not turn the thermostat OFF and ON immediately – wait a few minutes to prevent damage to the compressor.
- Fan – set FAN switch to ON for continuous blower operation or set to AUTO if you only want the blower to run when the unit is operating.
- Check your air filter and clean or replace, if dirty.
- Make sure all equipment access panels are reinstalled properly.
- Check for sufficient airflow and make sure supply and return grilles are open and unobstructed.
- Check furnace intake and exhaust vents to make certain they are clear.
- Clear outdoor coil of debris